Forum Thread: need help on what is the best walk around lens for 7d

i own a 7d, a sigma 17-70mm 2.8-3.? and i'm not really satisfied with the performance, i'd like to ask help on what lens i could aim for in the near future. i'd like a walk around lens, something i'd be having for keeps. help.

9 Responses

Tamron 18-270 PZD.  Wicked.

In my opinion, the 24-105 f4 is a good all rounder, which I fine stays on the camera most of the time.

I'm having excellent results with the Canon 28-135 kit lens; but its 3.5 to 5.6 aperture range leave me hungering for a prime 50mm larger aperture for indoor low-light shots.  I'm new with the 7D; but I find it to over ISO in low light with the kit lens plus adding flash to wash stuff out.

Except for the future addition of a macro lens, I'm thinking the best walk around kit would be a zoom like the 28-135 or the above suggestions and a prime 50mm for low-light work or creative shallow depth shots anywhere.

Anyone care to comment on the 1.4 vs the 1.8  I'd buy the 1.4 in a NY minute except I fear the many review reports that its AE tends to break, often. 

So I bought the Canon 50mm 1.8 and agree with my own comment above.  Awesome results indoors with low light.  Just like everyone says.  The 28-135mm zoom doesn't even come close indoors, though excellent.  Just be prepared to move a lot without the zooming.

The "nifty fifty" opens a whole new world of capturing light and learning--not to mention the amazing amateur shots right out of the box.

Also something to remember with your lenses,On the 7D there is a crop factor of x1.6 due to the APS-C CMOS sensor. So your 28-135mm kit lense is really an approximate 45-215mm lense. That 50 prime is a perfect 80mm for portraits as well as low light shooting.

I went from a Sigma 17-70 to a 24-70 f/2.8 L and never looked back. It was easy with a 10-22 for the wider stuff. The difference? A HUGE leap in image sharpness and color. I thought about the 24-105 but I wanted a better range for light than FL. Plus I have the 70-200 L for that. Best trinity for a crop.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 and i highly recommend others to keep this in their pack. 

I bought the 7d a few months ago...It came with a kit 15 - 85 which i haven't used much. Lots of barrel distortion at the wide end, but haven't put it thru its paces at other focal lengths. I bought the 50mm 1.4 - beautiful performance! I also scored a second hand 24mm f1.4 L ...still getting to know it, but a nice focal length for close up portraits, artistic outdoors shots etc..

Looking at getting the 35mm f2 and possibly a Tokina 11-16 mm for wide-angle shots

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active